Evelyn Pierrepont, 1st Duke of Kingston-upon-Hull
The Duke of Kingston-upon-Hull
|Lord President of the Council|
6 February 1719 – 11 June 1720
|Preceded by||The Earl of Sunderland|
|Succeeded by||Viscount Townshend|
Evelyn Pierrepont, 1st Duke of Kingston-upon-Hull(c. 1655 – 5 March 1726) was an English aristocrat.
He had been the member of parliament for East Retford before his accession to the peerage as fifth Earl of Kingston-upon-Hull in 1690. While serving as one of the commissioners for the union with Scotland he was created Marquess of Dorchester in 1706, and took a leading part in the business of the House of Lords. He was made a privy councillor and in 1715 was created Duke of Kingston-upon-Hull; afterwards serving as Lord Privy Seal and Lord President of the Council. The Duke was a prominent figure in the fashionable society of his day.
- Lady Mary Pierrepoint (died 1762), who married the diplomat Edward Wortley-Montagu
- Lady Frances Pierrepont (died 1761), who married John Erskine, Earl of Mar
- Lady Evelyn Pierrepont (died 1727) who married John Leveson-Gower, 1st Earl Gower, and was mother of Gertrude, Duchess of Bedford
- William, Earl of Kingston, who died of smallpox, aged 20, in July 1713. He married and had a daughter Frances (died 1795) and a son Evelyn.
His second wife was Lady Isabella Bentinck, daughter of Hans William Bentinck, 1st Earl of Portland, whom he married in 1714. They had two daughters:
- Lady Caroline Pierrepont (died 1753) who married Thomas Brand (senior), MP
- Lady Anne Pierrepont (1719-1739)
He was succeeded by his grandson Evelyn, son of William.
- Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co. 1885–1900. .
- "''Evelyn Pierrepont, 1st Duke of Kingston-upon-Hull'' at Special Collections of ''The University of Nottingham''". Nottingham.ac.uk. Retrieved 28 January 2012.
- One or more of the preceding sentences incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "Kingston-upon-Hull, Earls and Dukes of". Encyclopædia Britannica. 15 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. p. 822.
- "''William Pierrepont, Earl of Kingston-upon-Hull (1692-1713)'' at Special Collections of ''The University of Nottingham''". Nottingham.ac.uk. Retrieved 28 January 2012.