Talk:Voice instrumental music

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

what's the name for the making of percussion sounds with the mouth? -- Tarquin

Beatboxing. It almost cretainly deserves a mention on this page.

Perhaps this is splitting hairs, but should this article be titled Vocal Instrumental Music? --bleh fu 05:26, Jan 12, 2005 (UTC)

Who's Rhiannon? The link doesn't lead to anything relevant to this article. I did a few edits, but the article still isn't exactly what I'd call anything near organized. Something really should be done. I also added a stub notification, since although this isn't a very short article, most of it is a mess of disorganized mentions of various things. (I also agree with the above poster about the article title.) Aarnepolkusin 23:57, July 24, 2005 (UTC)

Has this page been moved?[edit]

There are very few (not-ultimately-derived-from-Wikipedia) Google hits for "Voice instrumental music", and the term does not strike a bell with me. The term for compositions and improvisations involving the human voice is vocal music. The article itself needs serious cleanup, but it also needs to be moved or re-moved/moved back. Schissel-nonLop! 21:56, 21 November 2005 (UTC)

The article was originally spread over several articles such as "mouth music", "scat", "diddling" etc., that described different traditions of using the mouth and voice to make music without lyrics. These were merged to form the current article. I liked the generic term "Mouth music" but which name do you suggest it be moved back to? To me, the title, "Vocal music", suggests songs with lyrics as well as those without and thus is too broad. -- Derek Ross | Talk 05:52, 24 November 2005 (UTC)

This is not a real category, it isn't describing any particular tradition or set of techniques. The definition provided "Voice instrumental music is the term used for compositions and improvisations for the human voice" covers far too much ground, while emphasizing particular works and persons with no evident reason. Perhaps this should be redone as Extended Vocal Technique... -- unsigned

I came to this article via "Mouth music", but I was looking for Puirt a Beul. I think the redirect should be replaced, or a link to the Gaelic tradition should be put in the introduction. There is also a band named "Mouth Music" (but no article yet), so a disambiguation page might be best. -- Kjetil Torgrim Homme 22:22, 24 January 2006 (UTC)

This term appears to be original research. Hyacinth 05:13, 22 July 2006 (UTC)
I agree. This article was originally called "Mouth music", a much more descriptive and recognisable term than "Voice instrumemtal music". -- Derek Ross | Talk 16:37, 14 November 2006 (UTC)