Nightingales Corner, Little Chalfont
|Population||6,858 (2017 est.)|
|OS grid reference|
|• London||22 miles (35 km) SE|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Postcode district||HP6, HP7|
|Post town||CHALFONT ST. GILES|
|EU Parliament||South East England|
Little Chalfont is a village and civil parish in the Chiltern district of Buckinghamshire, England. It is one of a group of villages known collectively as The Chalfonts, which also comprises Chalfont St Giles and Chalfont St Peter. Little Chalfont is located around 2 miles (3.2 km) east of Amersham and 21.9 miles (35.2 km) northwest of Charing Cross, central London.
Little Chalfont is a 20th-century creation triggered by the coming of the Metropolitan Railway. A station called Chalfont Road was opened in 1889 at the northernmost point of Chalfont St Giles Parish where the parishes of Amersham, Chenies, and Chalfont St Giles met. At that time, the area was remote from the centres of the villages and towns, and consisted of isolated farms and cottages, and did not have a specific name.
The coming of the railway eventually brought local housing development, and a community developed around the station, which was renamed to Chalfont & Latimer station in 1915, a name which it retains today.
The first appearance of the name Little Chalfont is in the minutes of the Chalfont St Giles Parish Council on 15 January 1925, when, at the request of the inhabitants, it was agreed that the group of houses near the station should be named Little Chalfont instead of "Chalfont Road Village". For many years, Little Chalfont was split mainly in the Amersham Town Council area, and partly in Chalfont St Giles parish. Following a period of campaigning by local residents, the village was awarded separate Parish status in 2007. Most of the new Parish came from Amersham, but a small part (in area, rather larger in population) of Chalfont St Giles was also included.
Little Chalfont is served by Chalfont & Latimer station, on the Metropolitan line of the London Underground and the London to Aylesbury Line of Chiltern Railways. There are also bus services to Amersham, Chesham and other surrounding towns and villages.
There are four schools in Little Chalfont: three primary schools (Little Chalfont Primary School, Chalfont Valley E-ACT Primary Academy (formerly Bell Lane Combined School), and Chenies School), and Dr Challoner's High School - a girls' grammar school.
Little Chalfont Community Library was originally part of the Buckinghamshire County Library Service but is now run as a community library by local volunteers since 2007. It is one of the most successful community libraries in England.
Little Chalfont Farmers Market was launched in September 2009 with the support of the Parish Council and local regeneration groups. The Farmers Market takes place in the Village Hall car park on the second Saturday of each month.
Little Chalfont Nature Park  is a 4.6 acre Nature Park with rare MG5 grassland / wildflower meadow and semi-natural woodland. It was purchased for and by the community and opened on 1 June 2016. It is freely open to visitors all year round from dawn until dusk.
Little Chalfont Community Association  is active and organises the Annual Village Day.
Beel House is a 10,194 square feet (947.1 m2) Grade II listed 16th-century house on the edge of Little Chalfont. Originally owned by the Duke of Buckingham. It was the home of Mary Pennington whose daughter Gulielma Springett married William Penn, founder of Pennsylvania. Later residents include Dirk Bogarde, Ozzy Osbourne, and Robert Kilroy-Silk.
Little Chalfont is part of the Church of England parish of Chenies and Little Chalfont. In 1987, it joined with the neighbouring parishes of Latimer and Flaunden to form the Chenies Benefice. The parish church of St George's is on White Lion Road.
St Aidan's Roman Catholic church is on Finch Lane. It was opened in 1964, having been built on land bought from the Beel House estate.
Little Chalfont Methodist Church is on Chalfont Avenue. The original church building was opened in 1959. After the church was damaged by fire in 1993, the current church building was opened in 1996.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (October 2019)
- "Population estimates for Parishes in England and Wales, mid-2002 to mid-2017". Office of National Statistics. Retrieved 21 May 2019.
- Little Chalfont Library http://www.littlechalfontlibrary.org.uk
- Little Chalfont Nature Park http://naturepark.littlechalfont.org.uk
- Little Chalfont Community Association http://littlechalfont.org.uk
- British Listed Buildings http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-416304-beel-house-little-chalfont
- Amersham / Little Chalfont Archived 2007-12-12 at the Wayback Machine. Amersham.org.uk. Retrieved on 2013-08-16.
- Chenies Benefice Parish Profile http://www.cheniesbenefice.org/home/parish-profile
- St Aidan’s church website "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 10 September 2012. Retrieved 25 February 2012.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Church website "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 6 July 2013. Retrieved 25 February 2012.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
"A History of Little Chalfont" Ivor White 1993 published by The Little Chalfont Rural Preservation Society (now the Little Chalfont Community Association), Bucks, England.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Little Chalfont.|