|WikiProject Ecology||(Rated C-class, Top-importance)|
|WikiProject Biology||(Rated C-class, High-importance)|
|To-do list for Biological interaction:|
This article should be merged imo with Symbiosis.
The redirect from Amensalism could as well be to Symbiosis, as symbiosis is defined there (with references) as:
After 130 years of debate, current biology and ecology textbooks now use the latter "de Bary" definition or an even broader definition (i.e. symbiosis = all species interactions), with the restrictive definition no longer used (i.e. symbiosis = mutualism).
The breadcrumb of my interest was: Symbiosis > Commensalism > Amensalism > here. As the section here is actually very similar to the one there I simply copied it across and redirected the link on Commensalism to the section there.
Seems a matter of opinion which of the two whould merege with which but my edit at least saves readers being messed about during any debate, or at least on this particular aspect of it.
- LookingGlass - I think you are right that there is a very large overlap here, aggravated by confusion in the article about the meaning of symbiosis (with a hopelessly garbled subsection). There's actually a third article, Ecological relationship, covering the same territory also: it argues that predation and competition are "oppositional", while mutualism, commensalism, and parasitism are "symbiotic". (So when parasitism grades into predation, is that symbiotic or oppositional, hmm?). It's definitely a mess, and we definitely have too many articles, but which? Chiswick Chap (talk) 10:05, 23 February 2018 (UTC)
- The ecological relationship is not very well written. It is so simplified it could almost exist in the Simple English Wikipedia. I agree with the merge of biological interactions with symbiosis and the redirect of amensalism. There do not need to be so many articles covering largely overlapping areas. It lowers readership, confuses readers, and creates a slew of links that are hard to categorize. Less is more in this case. Andrew Z. Colvin • Talk 22:38, 23 February 2018 (UTC)
- OK, so I've redirected Amensalism to Symbiosis#Amensalism, that was easy.
- I'll merge Biological interaction to Symbiosis now, it's been waiting 3 years already.
- Azcolvin429: What do we do with ecological relationship - do you fancy rewriting it? And by the way I'm not sure that Biological interaction shouldn't better redirect there, as brief one-off interactions like predation are not part of Symbiosis. We're not sorted yet, anyway. Chiswick Chap (talk) 09:33, 24 February 2018 (UTC)
- Chiswick Chap Did you mean to redirect or merge page as now the redirected page is two sentences long.
A Commons file used on this page has been nominated for deletion
The following Wikimedia Commons file used on this page has been nominated for deletion: