A kart circuit is a race track designed for kart racing or other forms of short length motor racing, such as small-scale motorcycle racing, pocketbike racing, or radio-controlled model racing. There are several types of kart circuit, depending on the type of use desired.
A short circuit is defined as being an outdoor circuit of less than 1,500 meters in length .
The average length for a serious racing track for karts is around 1,100 - 1,200 meters, 7 to 9 meters in width. Normally custom-built for karting, they resemble road courses, with left and right turns. They generally allow sprint racing for both gearbox and non-gearbox karts.
Temporary circuits can be set in city streets or large parking lots for special events. This is the case for the Junior Monaco Kart Cup, a prestigious event for young drivers taking place each year in the city of Monaco, and the SKUSA SuperNationals, taking place in Las Vegas at the Rio All Suite Hotel and Casino.
This type of event can see karts (Superkart) reach speeds in excess of 160 mph (250 km/h).
Normally for casual racers, the indoor circuits can be in any closed space (often old factories), sometimes with a short outdoor section to add interest. Normally they have their own fleet of Go-karts or micro karts, chosen more for economy than out-and-out speed.
In Europe, indoor karting is where most people will sample their first time in a kart. Indoor karting exploded across the UK in the 1990s and had a similar impact in European countries such as France and Belgium. It has made a lesser impact in the United States. Indoor karting still offers a competitive experience for all levels of racers.
Karting is international and most countries have kart specific racing circuits. Notable[ambiguous] examples are included below. You can also find a comprehensive Kart Circuit Directory powered by JMWForecast displayed on KartingForum.co.uk & JMWForecast. The Kart Circuit Directory also contains location, contact, events & live timing information. And localised weather forecasts for every circuit listed.
- Bayford Meadows
- Buckmore Park Kart Circuit
- Daytona Motorsport
- Rye House Kart Circuit
- Mansell Raceway Kart Circuit
- Dunkeswell Kart Racing Club
- Clay pigeon kart club
- K1 Speed
- Pole Position Raceway
- CIK-FIA 2011 circuit regulation
- List of karting tracks in the UK
- List of karting tracks in the UK (grouped by location)
- Comparison of karting tracks in the UK
- How to start Cadet Karting in the UK & Ireland
- List of karting tracks in the US and Canada
- Orlando Kart Center world class kart track in Florida
- (in Dutch) List of karting tracks in the Netherlands
- (in French) List of karting tracks in France
- KartingForum.co.uk - Your #1 Karting Community!
- Motorsport Weather Forecaster & Kart Circuit Directory Founder